Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
The CERT Committee is designed to assist local communities with the establishment, maintenance and training needed for local CERT programs. The committee will focus on providing technical support and guidance to local CERT programs, including but not limited to programs formed within public safety, industry and schools.
- Create a common framework on which CERT programs can be built
- Provide Train the Trainer and Program Management classes
- Maintain a register of CERT trainers
- Provide continuing education for trainers
- Capture data on the trainings held in the state and other data
- Capitalize on opportunities to share resources
- Share best practices and lessons learned
- Foster, recommend and develop standards
- Develop and maintain a library of training tools, sample document and other materials to assist CERT programs
- Share the CERT story statewide
Background, what is CERT?
Local government prepares for everyday emergencies. However, during a disaster, the number and scope of incidents can overwhelm conventional emergency services. The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program is an all-risk, all-hazard training. This valuable program is designed to help you protect yourself, your family, your neighbors and your neighborhood in an emergency situation.
CERT is a positive and realistic approach to emergency and disaster situations where citizens may initially be on their own and their actions can make a difference. While people will respond to others in need without the training, one goal of the CERT program is to help them do so effectively and efficiently without placing themselves in unnecessary danger.
In the CERT training, citizens learn to
- Prepare for emergencies
- Put out small fires
- Treat the three medical killers by opening airways, controlling bleeding, and treating for shock
- Provide basic medical aid
- Search for and rescue victims safely
- Organize themselves and spontaneous volunteers to be effective
- Collect disaster intelligence to support first responder efforts
CERT Committee Technical Library
- Are you a CERT Program manager?
- Basic Training Instructor?
- Looking to start a CERT Program or Team?
- Questions on state level CERT coordination and guidance?
Involved in CERT? Want to be part of the Committee?
The CERT Committee is looking for members from across the state who are interested in learning more about best practices in disaster relief and willing to share their expertise and experiences.
- Do you have ideas to share and are interested in developing materials for the technical library?
- Like to read documents and provide constructive feedback?
- Have you started a CERT team and are willing to share what you learned?
Inquire about joining the committee with this inquiry form.
If you have any questions or would like to contact the committee please use this email address: [email protected]